Welcome to the Korean Culture Club Blog!

Hello, and welcome.
Founded by Yanna Lee, the Korean Culture Club is a group formed by students who love Korean Culture. The students of Chinese International School, Hong Kong, meet every once a week to share their interest in Korean Culture and think of innovative ways to spread it in our school community.
We have 22 members, all Chinese.

Korean Culture Club

Korean Culture Club
KCC Members!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Food Glorious Food - Bungeoppangs

-Nicolia Ng

A just made Bungeoppang (붕어빵) ready for eating. Yum.
Imagine this: It is a cold winter’s morning and you’re on your way to school.  You’re wearing layers of clothes, but you’re still shivering. While you rub your hands together to warm them, a delicious aroma wafts through the air. You walk to the vendor selling this mouthwatering pastry and you think: what could be more heavenly than warming your poor frozen hands with a steaming hot Bungeoppang? Let me tell you— eating it.

A real Carassiuis/Bungeo/붕어




Oh yes, with each bite into that oh-so-crispy skin, the flavours of the waffles and red beans would swirl and collide in the most mouth-watering explosion. While you eat this sweet, crunchy-yet-chewy snack, I’m pretty sure there is only one thing on your mind: Can life be any better? Well at least that was what I thought when I had my first Bungeoppang. (Seriously.)

In Korean, “bungeo” (붕어) means Carassiuis (it’s a type of fish), while “ppang” (빵) means bread. Bungeoppangs are fish-shaped pastries filled with sweet red bean paste and are normally sold by street vendors in Korea.

To make a Bungeoppang, fish-shaped waffle irons are used. The batter is first poured into the mold, followed by red bean paste, then more batter will be added to encase the paste. The mold will then be closed to roast and then voilà! The Bungeoppangs are done! You may wonder which side of the Bungeoppang to eat first—head or tail. I can honestly tell you I don’t know, but I don’t think it matters too much. To me, the best part is the sweet red bean filling, so I always leave it till the end (because as they all say— you “save the best for the last”). Although I feel bad for the poor fishy, I can’t say I’m sorry because it tastes too good!! Especially when the weather is cold. Anyways, that’s enough of the advertising. I think you should go try one. Right. Now.


(note: Nicolia referred to 붕어 as "bungeo," which is how it is pronounced. This is NOT bun-GEO, but "boong uh". Please take note, thanks - Yanna.)

4 comments:

  1. Nice article, and is well-written!
    Makes me hungry and reminds me of the last time I ate Bungeoppang :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know they have this ice cream version of it? It has a layer of vanilla in it too. SO. GOOD.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/600goodice2.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the japanese one with custard in it...maybe coz i don't really like red bean paste in general :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good!! You guys should make it and sell it at school like a bake sale :) And to what Tiff said I LOVE the japanese custard one but this one looks good too cause I love red bean paste, almost as much as custard. :P I've never tried this before but I really want to :)

    ReplyDelete